For the graphic for my poster I have used a program called Alchemy to generate a large amount of thumbnails, in order to give me something to work with. I set Alchemy to clear my canvas every 30seconds then drew, while listening to Rachmaninoff, the sounds that I heard. I also set it so the line drawn changed with the speed which I drew it and so I could not see what I was drawing until I had finished all of the sketches; this was done to prevent me being influenced by anything other than the music.
I don't know if this is how Muller-Brockmann worked and I doubt it is but I felt it would be a good way to express the musical abstraction, in a 2d form, he talks about. below is the contact sheet of all of the sketches.

(click image for larger version)

from these I really like 2, 5, 16, 21 and 23 these ones stand out because I feel they can be used to go around the text and have several strong shapes in them.
i then used Photoshop to draft more ideas using the sketches as a base.

(click image for larger version)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

top