I have had a few long train journeys in this holiday and during those journeys I wrote down a list of starting points, thoughts, aims & possible inspiration for this project. They are currently in my monthly note/sketch book so I am going to write them here; (key ones in bold)

  • Think big
  • Be ambitious
  • Collaborate
  • Try get sponsors/contacts
  • Draw inspiration from culture & artists
  • Keep it simple
  • Great first impression
  • Say no to trends
  • Trust what I'm doing
  • Plan my time
  • Make more lists and cross them off
  • Draw inspiration from classic forms
  • Draw inspiration from what I have read
  • Maybe Make a custom typeface which embodies the creative vision
  • I would like to use 3D models that I have made, it would be something new & fun
  • Draw inspiration from architecture
  • Read more about architecture
  • Take colours & pallets from nature
  • Read some creative manifestos, then write my own.
  • Take key words & concepts from the brief e.g. tone of voice
  • Complexity and detail is cool!
  • Consider stripping back to fundamental design principles
  • Create things with my hands first then digitally later
  • Literature is a good source of inspiration which I don't currently use
  • Work with recycled & found items
  • Don't just think big, work BIG
  • Gas silos are interesting, what mechanisms make them work (it was a looooong journey)
  • Modernism is naff
  • Look at the annual reports of the companies that have given my chosen briefs
  • Subtle detail on off-white works
  • The briefs are about engaging with he target audience therefore market research is key
  • Combine typefaces
  • Use the latest software
  • Find fun interesting & unique ways of working
  • Look up Jasper Morrison
  • Visit these sights:- Harryparr-young.com, anettreiche.com, malinbergstrom.se
I also wrote down this quote from the book which I am currently reading, M Bal (1994), On Meaning-Making: Essays in Semiotics.

the sign is a sign not only because it stands for something, but also because it dose not stand for something else. It is the difference between red and green (traffic lights) that makes each of these two signs function. This difference is the basis of semantics.


I think that I really could make strong use of this within my project & design.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

top