I stated a few posts back that I would look at the 5 briefs in my shortlist in a little more detail. I said there that I would;
  • picking the briefs apart looking for key words and paraphrasing the briefs into 1 short paragraph
  • thinking of a few responses that I could do for each brief
  • look at a small amount of examples of similar projects & campaigns
so going through my briefs in alphabetical order I am going to start with Green & Blacks.

Green & Blacks

Reason for being in my shortlist

When I read the brief it looked as if there was a lot of potential for large scale and innovative advertising. I felt like with this brief I could really innovate and come up with something really cool to do.
I am also personally interested in how as a designer you can influence peoples opinions, which is what this brief is about.
Green & blacks have a great colour pallet in there products which would be fun to work with.

The Brief

opening line:
Give new consumers a motivating
reason to trade up to Green & Black’s.
Brief text:
We ... wish to develop a marketing campaign that gives new consumers a motivating
reason to trade up to Green & Black’s above the other premium chocolate brands out
there. The creative challenge is to recreate the buzz behind the Green & Black’s brand to encourage even more consumers to try us and fall in love with us.

One of the biggest challenges we face (for both recruitment and retention) as we try to grow is in encouraging consumers to step up to Green & Black’s and pay that little bit more for us. Historically, we’ve found that getting people to taste our chocolate is more likely to get them to buy the brand.

my thoughts:
As I said before to me this brief is all about doing something big. just look at these quotes "getting people to taste our chocolate" and "recreate the buzz behind the Green & Black’s brand" to me these demand a campaign that is any combination of;
  • Large scale
  • Interactive
  • People Friendly
  • Motivational
  • Inspiring
  • Viral
  • an event
  • Covert
This brief is more about an idea than a physical series of posters etc. This is not a hard sell.

key words within the brief (ordered as they appear in the brief)
  • Organic
  • Rich deep colour
  • Intense taste
  • Next generation of consumers (note: this means it should be a youthful idea)
  • Growth, especially from other areas of our brand portfolio
  • Infectious brand idea
  • Dove campaign for Real Beauty
  • Creativity
  • Be bold

Dove

Dove have had some amazing advertising campaigns. They have worked they raising awareness to very human issues that are becoming a problem. The issues they target concern beauty, which is what Dove products are used for, so they therefore promote Dove products as well as the brand.
Campaign for Real Beauty had the following advert



The advert features children which appeals to mothers, who would fall into Doves target audience. it pointing a finger at the modern concept of beauty. This is a really clever advert and I think that how all the elements point back the Dove costumers is a really powerful thing which I could use in my project.

another part of the Campaign for Real Beauty was the Dove Evolution film. the aim of the film was the reveal the process that goes into making adverts containing images of beautiful women. when this was released the issue was already know about but not in a great detail. The effect of the campaign was that there was a massive surge in media coverage in the issue and a load of free advertising for Dove.



This is a very short video and it spread as a viral. I think the choice in music in both videos is really important as it really impacts the way you feel about the piece of video you are seeing.

Initial ideas

I have not had that many ideas about what I could potentially produce for this but I do know that Easter is one of the biggest times of year for UK chocolate buying and consumption so something to do with Easter would work really well.

I think it would be important to latch onto some key ideas and values, like how dove did. though just imitating them is not worth it.

engaging with peoples imagination is a great way to get people to talk about what your doing. so maybe something that is connected with peoples sense of nostalgia about chocolate. Charlie and the chocolate factory etc.

the point is to get people who already like chocolate to upgrade so some kind of visual comparison. such as 2 statues made of chocolate, one from cheap chocolate one from Green & Blacks.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

top