I am still looking for a creative movement or artistic style to draw inspiration from but I thought I would restrict the search area, the whole of southern Africa is a massive place after all.

looking at the Amarula website it seems to have a strong focus on South Africa and the Limpopo province so i think that it is fitting that i would choose for something that area or from South Africa in general.

Kruger National Park is in Limpopo, it is considered to be one of the most impressive game parks in Africa. I think having the savannah style of this national park in my advert would be good. here is a very popular video of animals near a watering hole in Kruger National Park



I have found a tribe which has a very strong graphical style to there decoration and fashion. the Ndebele tribe live around the Limpopo and while I do not know if they would gather marula fruit I do not think that matters because I'm trying to tie the product in with local South African culture.

A quick note, I think that it would be fitting to use several styles in my piece as South Africa has a vast amount of religions, cultures and ethnic groups.
The Ndebele decorate there houses with bold geometric patters which have a while background and strong blocks of colour and strong black lines. The painting and the design of the houses is left for the women and represents identity, values, emotions and personal expression but they never show religion and ritual.


Samson Mudzunga is a South African artist who lives and works in Limpopo. he creates massive versions of drums. "In the forms and imagery of these drums Mudzunga incorporates symbolism from the mythology and traditional customs of the Limpopo people to both explore these customs and question issues of power, in particular the power relationships existing within his own community." some of his latest work can be seen here.




Avhashoni Maingane is another artist from Limpopo his work is "linked to the dominant matriarchal presence in many black cultures". he tries to create awareness and education for arts in Limpopo.







I like the style of this last image and I think I could use something similar for representing the savannah landscape of the Kruger national park which I mentioned earlier.

I have just noticed that there are differences between the websites based on what location you choose that you live in. I will look at the key differences between the UK, USA and South African ones in another blog post.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

top