I have been looking into South African poets to try find a verse which I could use as the soundtrack for the advert. So far I have only been able to find two, the first Emmanuel Sairosi's poems are full of anger and negative messages about Limpopo and and there for really not suitable for an uplifting campaign about a product produced in the province. here is a sample of his work

soon the truth becomes apparent
turning back would be out of question
behold ahead lies the battle point
Limpopo
To tell you is to taint you
with all due respects to the parents
those who have lost their children
to lands beyond and afar
Only when you visit the Limpopo
only then can you understand
why your sons and daughters chose that path
Only then can you clearly decipher
the world in the manner
your children rightfully interpreted
It is indeed not just a conventional frequently told myth
The Limpopo has robbed the world
of the thousands of the future leaders
sons and daughters have perished
lured by the treacherous symphonic waters
of this barbaric river
Limpopo smells blood
Limpopo smells victory
Limpopo a two faced conniving brute
Were you not supposed to be the epitome
of that life that we so deeply yearned for?
Limpopo you have ruptured the veins
of hope entrenched in my utopian world
Undeterred exhibiting fearful braggadocio
Limpopo glides like a serpent
squaring up and ready to devour
an unsuspecting karoo lamb.

The seconds poet that i found is Ntshima Ramokone although she dose have some nice works i can not find a piece which fits the brand. here is a sample of her work,

I thought it will not come
As all the hope was gone
But God proofed me wrong
A place with great light of Life
A place of joy and Glory
Which rubs the word love inside me more than sorry
As is the one being chased by it, no attention to him
No, more crying of tears from the eyes of the afflicted me
As it just came with the miraculous surprise
With the joy of tears just fearing the soul of my heart
Which made me feel more human than ever before

Regenerating the great ambitions of my dreams
The one’s who thought they were dead
Now they had resurrected from the unforeseen death
Which turned into the everlasting living unstoppable dreams
Brought confusion towards the wicked ones
Right down from the deepest of the blue ocean
Which never let it go

The place full of life
The place full of peace
The place without storms
But booms with wonders
Which are incredible to me
I never thought it was me again
As I was just a born again
Under my Lord’s shade

I have looked again at existing Amarula advertising and have found that the idea which i was thinking of has already been done only without the animation style.



I want my piece to be original so I think that I will stay away from the ambiguous prose being the soundtrack for the animation. There are a few alternatives which I could use, one of these is the Amarula song which is a song about the Amarula liqueur that's wildly known in southern Africa. here is a clip of some girls singing it (it starts at 42seconds but it should auto play from that point).



The problem with using this song is there there is not a full quality recording of it any where I can find so im going to have to steal the audio from one of the amateur performances of the piece from youtube. doing so will give me background noise and imperfections which may look good or may end up making my piece look unprofessional.

Another option i have for the sound is to find a piece of local african music which would fit the advert and use that. at the moment I'm thinking that that would be the most realistic idea for my project.
I have some starting point here as Amarula sponsor the Channel O music awards. The website mentions artists such as Darey Art Alade, Gal Level and Buffalo Souljah for winning 2 wards each in the 09 awards.

Here is a song by Darey Art Alade who was named the best male at the event. I really like the piano from this song but I can not find an instrumental version of it any where so I'm not sure if it would work with the voice over the top.



Here is a high energy song by Gal Level. From what I'm picturing my advert to look like this video style of music is to fast paced for the mood.



the same is true for Buffalo Souljah as Gal Level but here is a sample of there music so you can judge for yourself


I have just taken some time to look at the music made by all the artists in the 2010 Channel O awards and i could not find anything which was fitting they where mostly like the Gal Level and Buffalo Soulja music.

i feel like the Darey Art Alade is to sound to much like pop music to fit what im trying to go for. What i need is a more traditional african piece with a slow tempo.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

top